I took a writing hiatus for Christmas, and I’m not 100% ready to actually sit down and write a proper post, so I figured I’d save that for next week, barring insanity, and join up with Kelly at “This Ain’t the Lyceum” and try out 7 Quick Takes. Bonus, we’ll all get to know each other a little better. Here goes!
1. Christmas happened. It was my first time in about ten years where I didn’t have a crazy Mass schedule. I only had ONE Christmas Mass to play, and it was lovely. We had Christmas Eve with the in-laws and a normal Christmas morning!
Growing up, Christmas morning always had to wait until dad came home from the noon Mass, so we didn’t dig into presents until about 2pm. It was amazing to be able to watch my boys run to the living room and tear into presents.
2. Apparently when you say “Traditional Catholic” people understand that to mean no pants for women, only Latin mass, television is the devil style Catholics… Um. That’s not me. I love jeans, both forms of the Mass, and am struggling through the Marvel Series (plural) on Netflix. So I guess I need to clarify my bio a little bit.
That got me thinking a bit about how much I love to label myself. I’m a coffee drinker. I’m android, not iPhone. I’m a boy mom. I’m a country girl… At the end of the day, none of that matters. What matters is how I do or do not decide to follow Christ. Add eschewing labels to my list of New Years Resolutions.
3. I got my first spam and first troll on the blog this week. I feel like I’m moving up in the world!
4. There’s a shiny new electric pressure cooker sitting on my counter. I’m definitely scared of it. Tuesday night I made a chicken sort of something in it that was okay, but I’m sensing that there is a bit of a learning curve. Feel free to share your favorite Instant Pot tricks in the comments!
My folks are coming over for their annual see the Christmas Decorations Visit, and I pulled out a roast to try and cook in it. My mom is the queen of effortless Sunday roasts. I am very nervous that mine won’t compare. (update: it is magically delicious)
5. It’s been negative degrees here in Michigan. Today we hit a high of 16F! It’s practically Spring!! But the boys got over a three-week case of RSV right before Christmas, so we have been marooned inside, and I am going a little stir crazy. If I get really brave, maybe I’ll try to go to the grocery store this afternoon. Maaaaaybe. I hear Aldi has some good after Christmas clearance.
6. My husband is a total sweetie and got me an 800-page book by Fr. Ripperger (this is my first experience with him, but I’ve heard good things) for Christmas that blends modern psychology with Thomistic philosophy to present a comprehensive understanding of the human person in order to ascertain what constitutes mental health and mental illness. I haven’t been this excited about a book in a long time.
7. I decided to pick a saint for 2018, and St. Josemaria Escriva just popped into my head. I know nothing about the man except that he founded Opus Dei and his ministry was around sanctification through everyday work. I’m really excited to get to know him better this coming year. I have a feeling he’ll become a favorite member of my Saint Possee. I ordered “The Way” but if you have any additional resources about him, I would so very much appreciate it if you sent them my way.
Head on over to “This Ain’t the Lyceum” to see the rest of the link-up, and come on back next week (I hope) to see what is new.